I thought it was about time to put down the summer garments, and to make something that I can actually wear without becoming an icicle. The ironic thing is that the day I took pictures it was really sunny, but it works just as well with a casual blazer and thick black tights. This bodice is from the Simplicity K4070 and the skirt is two gathered rectangles.There were lots of issues with this dress, but I soldiered on and am really happy with the end product. The only negative thing about it is that the skirt sticks to my legs when walking and I’m not quite sure how to rectify that.The insides are awful, and from now on I’m going to make them as neat as possible in every garment that I make.
I made up the lining, and then fitted it to Millie. As per usual several inches were removed from the bust area. I also cut the neck down a bit. The bodice was then taken apart and drawn onto grease proof paper. The main fabric was then cut out using the new pattern pieces.
I had slight fitting issues and the bodice was too small even after adjusting the pattern to fit better. To rectify the problem I cut out a really long trapezium shape and added that to the side of the dress, placing a zip on the right hand side. As you can see from the picture, this was an awful idea as a) it wasn’t straight and b) it was completely visible from the front view of the dress. So that was removed.
I then decided that it would be a better idea to cut a slit in the middle of the trapezium which was a much better placement for the zip.
The arm holes ended up being too tight so i cut about 1cm in and then turned it over to make it wider.
I attempted to line it, but it was unsuccessful as most of the raw edges were showing. Next time I have a better idea of how to put everything together.